Prep 15 mins
Cook 42 mins
By Woman's Day Kitchen from Woman's Day | November 17, 2010 For a tasty alternative to green bean casserole, try this side dish that’s full of smoky and robust flavor, with Brussels sprouts that are boiled and then sautéed with diced pancetta and sliced onion.
- 1. Bring 1 inches of lightly salted water to a boil in a large, deep skillet. Add sprouts and simmer, covered, until crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- 2. Wipe out the skillet. Add pancetta and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel–lined plate.
- 3. Add onion to drippings in skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. Increase heat to medium-high. Add sprouts, salt and pepper, and cook, tossing, until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add pancetta and vinegar, if using, and toss to combine.
- Get Ahead Cook the Brussels sprouts (step 1) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. When ready to make, bring to room temperature, then continue with step 2.
I used the optional red wine vinegar and I think it adds a lot of taste to this dish. The flavors are great with the pancetta. It was easy to do. Thanks chrish :) Made for PAC Spring 2013