1/2 Photos of Brussels Sprouts With Hollandaise Sauce
The hollandaise sauce is a bit of work but well worth it. Times are estimates and vary greatly depending upon the size of the sprouts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb Brussels sprout
- 1Prepare the Brussels sprouts, by steaming until tender - about 7-14 minutes depending upon the size of the sprouts.
- 2While the Brussels sprouts are cooking start the hollandaise sauce. To make the hollandaise sauce: place the vinegar in a small saucepan with the chopped shallot, 4 peppercorns and the thyme and bay leaf. Simmer gently, uncovered, to reduce to about 2 tablespoons Strain and set aside.
- 3Have 1 oz of the butter cut into small cubes and chilled in the ice-making compartment of the refrigerator.
- 4Beat the egg yolks with a balloon whisk or hand-held electric beater until creamy in the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl that will fit snugly over a saucepan. Gradually beat in 1 tbsp iced water and a pinch of salt.
- 5Add half the chilled butter pieces and set the double boiler top or bowl over gently simmering water; beating continuously as the mixture gradually heats and the butter melts and combines with the egg yolks, adding the reduced vinegar a little at a time as you beat.
- 6When this mixture starts to thicken noticeably, remove from the heat immediately, add the remaining chilled butter and continue beating.
- 7Once this has melted and combined with the egg mixture, beat in the melted butter, starting by adding a few drops and then gradually increasing this to a thin trickle. The sauce should become light and thick.
- 8Add a little more salt and freshly ground white pepper if wished and then stir in lemon juice to taste.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brussels Sprouts With Hollandaise Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (195 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.5
- Calories from Fat 420
- Total Fat 46.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.9 mg
- Sodium 35.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: