Recipe by sugarpea
Onions glazed with balsamic vinegar sweeten the flavor of the Brussels sprouts in this dish. It's colorful and texturally interesting with a garnish of chopped nuts.
- 5 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- chopped pecans (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sprouts in salted water until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes; drain and immerse in an ice bath; drain and cut in half.
- Saute sprouts, over medium high heat, in 1/2 tsp butter and 1/2 tsp oil until brown and crisp on edges, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper and place in serving bowl; cover and keep warm.
- Saute the onions in the same pan, over medium low heat, with the remaining 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp oil, until transparent, about 3-4 minutes; stand back to avoid fumes and add vinegar, deglazing the pan.
- Cook until vinegar is reduced and the onions are glazed, about 30 seconds; add to the sprouts and toss to combine; garnish with nuts, if desired; serve immediately.