A meatless main dish served with your favorite raita and a crusty bread. Or hearty side dish for smoked kielbasa, ham, pork.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarse chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 5 -6 ounces wide egg noodles, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs, see step 12
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Trim ends of sprouts; cut small ones in half, large ones in quarters.
- Steam sprouts for 8-10 minutes or til ALMOST done. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and oil in a large skillet.
- Add onions and sautee until just beginning to brown. Turn heat to low.
- Mix in the garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, salt. Cook for one minute then add nutmeg.
- Add the sprouts to the onion mixture and combine gently.
- Turn off heat, cover pan, and let set while the egg noodles cook.
- When noodles are ALMOST done, drain.
- Fold the noodles into the brussel sprout mixture. Taste to adjust seasonings; you may need more salt. Pour into an 8 x 8 x 2" baking dish. Sprinkle on crumbs.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes or until the top starts to lightly brown.
- * your choice of crumbs such as: panko, soft bread crumbs, matzo meal, crushed crackers, toasted bread crumbs, grated parm. cheese.