Recipe by MomLuvs6
Great Britain From:Larousse Treasury of Country Cooking
Top Review by breezermom
Love Brussels Sprouts, and loved these! The celery and onions were edible all on their own, and combining them with the brussels sprouts and sauce was great. Only suggestion I have is to make sure all your sprouts are of an even size or cut the larger ones in half so all is an equal texture when serving. If you like brussels sprouts, you will love this.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, small and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk, heated
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet. Add the celery and onion and saute over low heat until tender ,about 10 minutes.
- Steam Brussels sprouts for 7 minutes, while celery and onion cook. Drain and reserve Brussels sprouts.
- In skillet sprinkle flour into the celery and onion mixture. Stir over low heat until well blended, then gradually add the milk and cook gently until sauce thickens.
- Season sauce to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg, then add the reserved Brussels sprouts.
- Pour mixture into a buttered baking dish. Top with bread crumbs, dot with remaining butter and bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.