Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy rich and really good for you! If you want you can add some cream to thin or make richer! Left overs make a great soup, Just add some more broth and or cream blend and enjoy. Alternate method for pureeing butternut Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!
- 566.99 g Brussels sprouts
- chicken broth, to cover sprouts
- 1 small butternut squash, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml salted butter
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 1 ripe apples or 1 pear, chopped fine
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml fresh nutmeg
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- 0.25 ml chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Cook brussel sprouts in chicken broth 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and save broth.
- Cook butternut squash in micro on high cut side down sprinkled with a little water till softened about 10 minute.
- Saute onions in oil and butter with brown sugar till brown.
- In blender puree softened butternut sqaush,apple and spices add a little of the cooked chicken broth to blend into a nice sauce.
- Add brussel sprouts to onions.
- If large you can cut in 1/2 before adding to onions.
- Pour butternut sauce over sprouts and serve warm.
This is soooo good. I replaced 1/2 the brussels sprouts with red potatoes. My whole family loved it.
The first time I made this recipe I goofed and did not do it justice (I did not puree the sauce properly and the result was an unattractive lumpy sauce over the sprouts). It is a bit of a workup but well worth it. Be sure that you puree the onion squash etc to a smooth consistency and add enough of the left over broth so the sauce is like a medium heavy gravy. The combination of flavors and spices is wonderful and compliments the brussels sprouts Thanks Rita great recipe