Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Creamy rich and really good for you! If you want you can add some cream to thin or make richer! Left overs make a great soup, Just add some more broth and or cream blend and enjoy. Alternate method for pureeing butternut Pureed Squash Butternut, Acorn Any Hard Winter Squash!
- 20 ounces Brussels sprouts
- chicken broth, to cover sprouts
- 1 small butternut squash, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ripe apples or 1 pear, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 dash chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- Cook brussel sprouts in chicken broth 10 to 15 minutes.
- Strain and save broth.
- Cook butternut squash in micro on high cut side down sprinkled with a little water till softened about 10 minute.
- Saute onions in oil and butter with brown sugar till brown.
- In blender puree softened butternut sqaush,apple and spices add a little of the cooked chicken broth to blend into a nice sauce.
- Add brussel sprouts to onions.
- If large you can cut in 1/2 before adding to onions.
- Pour butternut sauce over sprouts and serve warm.
This is soooo good. I replaced 1/2 the brussels sprouts with red potatoes. My whole family loved it.
The first time I made this recipe I goofed and did not do it justice (I did not puree the sauce properly and the result was an unattractive lumpy sauce over the sprouts). It is a bit of a workup but well worth it. Be sure that you puree the onion squash etc to a smooth consistency and add enough of the left over broth so the sauce is like a medium heavy gravy. The combination of flavors and spices is wonderful and compliments the brussels sprouts Thanks Rita great recipe