Recipe by Cinnamom in Illinois
Okay, this is not for the kids' table, but it is a way to put something green on the holiday table. Maybe you'll even get an "oooooh" or two!
- 1 lb fresh Brussels sprout, cleaned and trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 shallot, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave brussels sprouts in a covered dish on high, with two tablespoons of water, for 4-5 minutes or until just fork-tender. Make sure steam can vent during cooking.
- Remove from microwave, drain and set aside.
- In large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Place on paper towel; drain most of the fat from pan.
- Place walnuts in pan and toast over high heat for about 5 minutes or until they start to brown.
- Add sliced shallot and cook, turning heat down to medium, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add brussels sprouts; stir to coat with pan drippings. Add salt and pepper to taste at this time.
- Add whipping cream and bleu cheese; stir all ingredients together until cheese is mostly melted and sprouts are well covered.
- Simmer over low heat for another five to ten minutes, until cream is reduced and starts to thicken.
- Pour all into serving bowl and crumble bacon over all to garnish. Be sure to use a scraper to get all that rich sauce.
- Bring to table and accept compliments.