Recipe by Annacia
Thinly sliced brussels sprouts are sautéed with shallots in this comforting vegetable hash.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Delicious way to cook Brussels sprouts. The balance of the apple cider vinegar and the sugar in the cooking of the shallots was fabulous. :) I've never really understood why Brussels sprouts are so maligned, but if they're looking good when you're shopping, this recipe is SO worth trying. A little discrepancy between the Ingredients list (3 tablespoons oil) and the Directions (3 tablespoons of butter), but I followed breezermoom's recommendation here anyway and used much less oil and butter. And I confess to having difficulty following instructions to use water in recipes. I used 1/4 cup of water and 3/4 cup of a light white wine. Yummy recipe: thanks for sharing it, Annacia. Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 lb shallot, thinly sliced
- coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add shallots; sprinkle with coarse kosher salt and pepper.
- Sauté until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar.
- Stir until brown and glazed, about 3 minutes.
- Halve brussels sprouts lengthwise.
- Cut lengthwise into thin (1/8-inch) slices. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sprouts; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until brown at edges, 6 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté until most of water evaporates and sprouts are tender but still bright green, 3 minutes.
- Add shallots; season with salt and pepper.