Recipe by Alliebaba
This is from a cooking magazine years ago. 1/2 my family love sprouts, the others don't. This casserole everyone likes. I add it to holiday dinners.
Top Review by kiwidutch
10 Stars! DH and I both love brussel sprouts but even so, they can get a little boring just palin boiled... OF THESE, DH said "these are the best sprouts I have ever had" and wow I could only nod my head in agreement becuase I had my mouth stuffed full of em... and went back for seconds. Easy to put together and excellent combination of flavours... Please see my rating system: a brilliant 5 stars for making our beloved sprouts exciting and new and wonderful again :) Thanks!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 8 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts; cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse in cold water until cool. Cut sprouts in half and set aside.
- In same pot, cook bacon until browned; 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Remove excess fat from pot.
- In same pot, add onion and cook until softened; 3 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Stir reserved sprouts and bacon to the onion in the pot. Stir to mix and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- In a bowl, combine heavy cream, salt, thyme, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over sprout mixture.
- Mix bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the sprouts. Dot with butter.
- Bake until lightly browned; about 30 minutes.