1/2 Photos of Brussels Sprouts Gratin
This is from a cooking magazine years ago. 1/2 my family love sprouts, the others don't. This casserole everyone likes. I add it to holiday dinners.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 8 slices bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, diced
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts; cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Drain and rinse in cold water until cool. Cut sprouts in half and set aside.
- 2In same pot, cook bacon until browned; 4 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Remove excess fat from pot.
- 3In same pot, add onion and cook until softened; 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Stir reserved sprouts and bacon to the onion in the pot. Stir to mix and transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- 5In a bowl, combine heavy cream, salt, thyme, pepper and nutmeg. Pour over sprout mixture.
- 6Mix bread crumbs with parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the sprouts. Dot with butter.
- 7Bake until lightly browned; about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.1
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 695.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 9.0 g