Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This may sound like a crazy combination, but it's a wonderful dish! The mushrooms and water chestnuts add complementary textures, and the cheese sauce brings it all together.
- Trim sprouts and cut an X in the stem of each. If sprouts are large, cut in half lengthwise.
- Bring 1 inch of water to boil in a 3-qt. saucepan. Add sprouts, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain.
- Place sprouts in 1-1/2 quart baking dish; top with water chestnuts.
- In same saucepan, melt butter and saute mushrooms until tender.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and pepper until well blended.
- Gradually add milk, stirring, until blended. Keep stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour mixture over sprouts in baking dish and sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
I made this for my brussel-sprout-loving husband and boy am I glad I did. I really don't care for them but I must say I enjoyed these. I loved the different textures (especially the water chestnuts and the creamy cheese sauce). I will be making this again for BOTH my hubby and I. Thanks so much for sharing it, JimC.
This is so good I will be making often I love brussel sprouts thank you for posting