1/1 Photo of Brussels Sprouts & Apple Salad
I made this recipe from the Healthy Heart Cookbook. This is really good and with just a few calories. Brussels sprouts are in prime form when the heads are hard and the leaves tighly bunched. If you can't find them fresh, thawed frozen sprouts work well in this tangy, crunchy salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 apple, halved, cored, and thinly sliced (I used a granny smith apple)
- 1/2 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed and quartered
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1Put the walnuts in a small, dry frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and lightly toasted, 3-5 minutes. Immediately transfer to a plate to cool and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup, salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice. In a small bowl, toss the apple slices with the remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice and stir into the yogurt mixture. Set aside.
- 3In a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the brussels sprouts and steam until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- 4Add the brussels sprouts to the bowl with the yogurt mixture and apples and toss gently to coat.
- 5Divide the salad among individual plates and sprinkle with the lemon zest and toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top < 15 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 15 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brussels Sprouts & Apple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.2
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 181.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 3.8 g