Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
From the local newspaper a few years ago. Good with the Turkey dinner, or baked ham dinner.
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed and halved
- 1 pint small shallots or 1 pint white pearl onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 fennel bulb, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup low-fat chicken broth
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Toast the walnuts in oven for 10 minutes. Cool.
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the sprouts and cook about 8-10 minutes, until just tender. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Bring another pan of water to the boil. Add the shallots or pearl onions and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Slip the skins off and remove the stem ends.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large, heavy skillet. Put the shallots or onions into the pan, sprinkle with the sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fennel and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Combine the walnuts with the broth in a small pan and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until the mixture is syrupy.
- Add to the shallots (or onions) and fennel along with the sprouts and remaining tablespoon butter. Stir over medium-low heat until the sprouts are heated through.
Brussels Sprouts, oh Brussels Sprouts, you are indeed tasty and delicious little treats with all these nuts, shallots fennel and just plain yumminess. Very easy to put together too. I followed this exactly except, I put the sprouts into the microwave and cooked them there, a pan roasted the shallots, fennel, and threw the little sprouts in at the end just to crisp up. I reduced the sugar, broth and nuts down to a wonderful syrup reduction (I confess in tasting more then a teaspoon worth!) and gently put this on the sprouts and oh delicious reduction all together and sprouts were all...........gone. Thank you so much mikekey! Making these for Thanksgiving as well.
Wow was I surprised by these babies! I made them for dinner tonight and Im not normally a sprouts fan but the mixture of the brussels and walnuts and onions was perfect! I think this is a new family favorite