Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
Yummy way to get a healthy dose of green veggies
- 8 ounces new potatoes, halved
- 8 Brussels sprouts (* see note)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- salt substitute
- black pepper
- (*Chef's note: To prepare Brussels sprouts, trim ¼ inch from the bottom and score the trimmed sprouts with a deep X.) In a large saucepan, cover the potatoes with water; bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and cook for 5 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Drain, reserving ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- In a large nonstick frying pan at medium-high heat, sauté the garlic in the oil for 3 minutes, or until it is just beginning to color.
- Add potatoes, Brussels sprouts, ¼ cup of the reserved cooking liquid, and oregano; add salt substitute and pepper to taste.
- Cover and heat through, adding more liquid as needed.
Since I'm not a brussel sprouts fan, I can't give this 5 stars --BUT this made them very edible and almost even tasty for me. I did add a cube of vegetable stock to the water and salted it quite a bit while cooking the 'taters. It made for an amazing taste on the potatoes. I think I probably should have cooked the sprouts longer because the ones I ate last tasted best. The oregano/garlic mixture was a perfect compliment to the veggies. Thanks!
Delightful recipe. My Brussels Sprouts were quite large so I cuth them in half. Love the garlic & oregano, Thanks Miller for an excellent recipe