Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping, from Better Homes and Gardens "Cook's Secrets: 62 Recipes You'll Want to Make Forever". Look for smaller, compact sprouts that are vivid green (sweetest). Larger Brussels sprouts can be a little bitter. Brussels sprouts can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store fresh cilantro, cut 1/2-inch from the bottoms of stems and stand in small jar or glass with about 1 inch of water; loosely cover with a plastic bag, and if you change the water every few days, it will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks. One tablespoon grated fresh ginger will be about 1 inch of fresh ginger (if using a microplane grater, 1 tablespoon will be too much). To make it a main dish, add 2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast or ham or cooked and shelled and deveined shrimp to the skillet when you add the broth.
- 3 ounces thin whole wheat spaghetti (dried) or 3 ounces multi-grain spaghetti (dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced (1 large)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated (see Recipe Description)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded (1 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, snipped
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Break spaghetti into pieces. Cook according to package directions; drain. Return spaghetti to hop pan; cover and keep warm.
- (Trim Brussels sprouts like mini cabbages, removing the stems and wilted or damaged outer leaves. Rinse and pat dry. Cut sprouts crosswise into thin (about 1/4-inch) slices. They will then cook quickly and evenly, but overcooking will make them mushy and smelly.).
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- Add Brussels sprouts, ginger, and crushed red pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Add broth and soy sauce (and desired protein, if any). Cook about 2 minutes more or until liquid is nearly evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cooked spaghetti, carrot, and cilantro. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Serve immediately.