Recipe by sugarpea
A delicious stir-fry, economical and quick to make. I like to serve this over soba noodles and rice would work as well. Don't let the length of the ingredients list put you off.
Top Review by OliveLover
I found a great buy on Brussels Sprouts at the vegetable market and had to use them up. I am only giving this 3 stars, because I made a few changes. I marinated the chicken, which I sliced finely across the grain in 1 Tbsp. each soy sauce and dry sherry rather than the egg white. I also didn't steam the sprouts, but holding them from the bottom, sliced them across the gain, into thin slices, adding them with the pepper and onion. I increased the garlic and didn't have water chestnuts. I also added some red pepper flakes to the oil before stir-frying the chicken. I also found I needed a little more moisture once the sprouts, onion and bell pepper were in the wok. We'll make this again with the changes I made. I think it will become a favorite.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, if large, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, cut diagonally into 3/4 inch pieces
- 4 ounces water chestnuts, sliced thin, blanched for 30 seconds, cooled under cold water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk egg white and 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch; add chicken and set aside for 10 minutes; boil Brussels sprouts in salted water for 2 1/2 minutes, or until just crisp-tender,drain and cool under cold water.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, broth, remaining 1/2 tsp cornstarch, sesame oil and water; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok; add drained chicken and stir-fry until opaque and just firm, about 1 minute; remove and set aside.
- Stir-fry shallot, garlic and gingerroot for 30 seconds; add red bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes; add the scallions and the Brussels sprouts and stir-fry 1 minute.
- Make a well in the center of the stir-fry mixture; whisk the soy sauce mixture and add to the well, whisking until it boils; stir into the vegetable mixture and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken, water chestnuts and salt and pepper and stir-fry until chicken is heated through, about 30 seconds.