Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
An old-fashioned recipe from the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Clean Brussels sprouts, removing any wilted leaves.
- Cook, uncovered in a large amount of rapidly boiling water until tender, about eight to ten minutes.
- Drain, saving one cup of the cooking water.
- Shell and blanch the chestnuts; cook in boiling salted water until chestnuts are tender.
- Brown two tablespoons butter, add sugar and cooked chestnuts; stir constantly until chestnuts are well browned.
- Heat two tablespoons butter; add flour and brown slightly.
- Add the one cup reserved Brussels sprouts cooking water gradually, stirring constantly and cook until smooth.
- Combine chestnuts and sprouts, season with salt and heat through.