Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is positively the ultimate recipe yet for brussel sprouts and the taste is unbelievable. Once again my wonderful girlfriend Betty passed this recipe onto me. Bon Appetit!
- 2 -3 lbs Brussels sprouts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups warm homogenized milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded old sharp white cheddar cheese (divide in half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Parboil the brussel sprouts for 7 minutes and drain.
- Place into a 2-3 quart oven proof dish.
- Saute the onion in butter until clear and then add the flour and stir.
- Add the warm milk, salt, pepper, nutmeg, 3/4 cup cheese and stir.
- Pour filling over brussel sprouts.
- Top with remaining 3/4 cup cheese and bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- This can be prepared and frozen until needed.
Can't wait to try this. One suggestion in answer to Brenda's comment: Maybe the "missing" thing is a splash of lemon juice. It helps with stronger tasting vegetables like this. P.S. I did try it- and it got rave reviews!
These were very, very good! I had picked up a pound of baby brussel sprouts at the Farmer's Market so I cut the recipe down to 3 servings and reduced the oven cooking time by 5 minutes. While delicious as written, I kept thinking that for our tastes, they needed just a little something extra. A few thoughts that came to mind were to fry bacon until almost crisp and then use some of the bacon grease in the roux and eliminate part of the butter, or maybe even add a small amount of garlic. My Mom and Grandma stopped over just after I had taken them out of the oven. My 87 year old Grandma asked for the recipe! Thanks for sharing. Nick's Mom