Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
from The Little Red House...a great unusual combination of flavors and nutrition and textures...
- 453.59 g Brussels sprout
- 2 slice bacon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- While you are slicing your brussels, cook the bacon until crispy in a large skillet. Remove from pan.
- Add a little olive oil to the pan (depending on how much bacon drippings were left over), and add your shredded brussels, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
- Cook for just a few minutes on medium heat, until brussels start to get tender.
- Mix in lime juice and crumble bacon into the sprouts. s&p to taste.
- Scoot your sprouts over to the side of the pan, and add avocado slices--just to quickly warm each side. You don't really want to stir them around into the sprouts or they will mash right in.
- When they are heated through, mix everything together and enjoy!
Caramelizing brussels sprouts gives them such a great flavor, and the bacon enhances that here. I accidentally doubled the bacon - made a half recipe and thought I had one slice, when two were stuck together (but it definitely wasn't too much bacon). The avocado is really unique in this. I have to admit though, I topped the plates with it room temperature, as we are not big fans of warmed/cooked avocado. It was a wonderful side dish!