Recipe by Chef Brew
A gentle cross-breed between Brusetta and Spaghetti. A healthy alternative to the common tomato sauce spaghetti recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb whole wheat spaghetti
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried mint flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground basil
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400 Degrees.
- Cut top off from the whole garlic bulb - just so the very tips of the cloves are cut off. Place the whole bulb on cookie sheet or other oven-safe pan. Discard the top of the garlic bulb. Pour 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the top of the bulb. Sprinkle a pinch of fresh ground peppercorn pepper on top of the bulb. Place in oven for 30 minutes. It should look slightly brown on top when finished - along with a wonderful deep nutty smell. This can also be done the night before however it is better warm.
- Next boil water on high until boil. Place spaghetti noodles in the boiling water until al dente.
- Meanwhile, combine the herbs, onion and tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Once the garlic is completed, wrap bottom of garlic bulb with paper towel and squeeze out the cloves. They should just slid out smoothly, careful though since they will be warm. Mince the garlic cloves and mix into the chopped tomato mixture.
- Drain the spaghetti noodles and place in the bowl along with the mixture already compared.
- Pour the rest of the EVOO on top of the mixture until well mixed.
- Sprinkle with flaxseed just before serving.
- *Flaxseed is a natural supplement that aids in the prevention in heart and cancer issues.