Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
- 1 cup seeded and diced ripe beefsteak tomatoes or 1 cup italian tomato
- 3⁄4 cup well-drained cannellini beans (, canned or cooked)
- 1⁄4 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 8 slices country style whole grain bread, 2-3-inches x 1/2-inch-thick
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- For the topping, combine all of the topping ingredients in a small bowl, with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix very well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for the tastes to blend together.
- For the bruschetta, toast or broil the bread slices so that both sides are golden brown.
- Cut the garlic in half and rub generously over one side of each slice.
- Brush the olive oil over each side as well.
- To serve, top the bruschetta with the bean and herb mixture while the bread is still hot, if possible.
This is a nice fresh bruschetta! I brushed the olive oil and garlic on the bread before toasting. I tasted the veggie mixture before topping the bread and thought it needed a little something so I added just a few dashes of balsamic vinegar and that did the trick. I thought the cucumber was an unusual addition but it added a nice little crunch. Thanks for sharing the recipe!