Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is from The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen. It's fantastic! I prepared it for a small get together at my house and everyone loved it. You can add cheese (mozzarella or parmesan) to make this vegetarian if you'd like.
- 3⁄4 lb tomatoes, seeded, and finely chopped (preferably vine-ripe)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or 1⁄2 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- salt, preferably the coarse variety, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces Italian bread, lightly toasted
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 6 small basil leaves (optional)
- Place the tomatoes, chopped basil, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; toss well to combine. Set aside for a few minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Rub the toasted sides of the bread with the flat sides of the garlic halves. Top each slice with the tomato mixture, using about 2 tablespoons per piece. Garnish each with a whole basil leaf, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Very nice. A bit watery, but the flavors were balanced and pleasant. Diane