Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is a great appetizer I like to make.
- 8 slices crusty firm Italian bread or 8 slices other country bread
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, slivered
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire or preheat the broiler.
- Place on grill or under the broiler the slices of bread.
- Grill or broil, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes each side.
- Remove from the heat and rub the surface with 2 large cloves of garlic.
- Brush with 3-4 T of the olive oil.
- Combine the tomatoes, basil leaves, salt and pepper in bowl.
- Divide the tomato among the brushetta and serve immediately.
Today's scrumptious brunch - scaled back for two. Quick and easy to make and a classic combination of ingredients that are always a winner. Wonderfully flavoursome, but - obviously - for this to be so, you MUST use the best tomatoes you can find and NOT supermarket tomatoes. I used ciabatta rolls, a favourite of mine, and added a dollop of Greek yoghurt (others may prefer mayonnaise) to the tomato filling. Next time, I'm thinking I may add a couple of bacon rashers. Ah, but that is rendering this heathy low fat recipe very much less healthy, and that would be a pity. Maybe, just sometimes? Thanks for sharing this recipe, Lainey! Made for the market game.