Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes a great appetizer, snack or light lunch.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (cored, seeded and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 1 orange bell pepper (cored, seeded and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch wide strips)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- balsamic vinegar (1 generous splash or to taste)
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread, cut crosswise into 1-inch thick pieces (Ends removed, choose a bread that measures around 12x5-inches)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaf, sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the pepper strips and sauté until lightly browned at the edges and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low, stir in the minced garlic, cover and continue cooking until soft, about 8 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste; remove from heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Grill the bread over a medium heat, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place the toast slices on a large platter, rub the peeled garlic over the tops, and brush with the remaining olive oil.
- Place a few slices of mozzarella cheese on each toast. Cover with a portion of the sautéed peppers, the top with a sprinkling of basil.
- Serve immediately.
I made the recipe as stated. And I loved it. Would do it again for sure. It's beautiful, full of colors. Thanks Lainey. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.