Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
I enjoyed this beet treat at my son's. Come taste it. This adaptation comes from Weber's Charcoal Grilling. If you use red beets, red wine vinegar vinegar is fine. The original recipe specifies golden beets but I cannot buy golden beets in northern Wisconsin so used red. The beet mixture and goat cheese mixture could be made ahead and then refrigerated. And if you cannot buy fresh beets, you could work with canned it seems.
- 3 medium beets, about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 slices Italian bread, each about 1/3 inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub dirt off beets with paper towel, and put beets in tightly sealed casserole, and bake for 60 to 90 minutes until tender.
- Cool beets, peel them, cut off stem and roots, and cut into small cubes (about 1/4 inch).
- Put beets into medium bowl, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, green onion, vinegar, thyme, salt, and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together goat cheese and water.
- Preheat broiler.
- Put bread onto a cookie sheet, lightly brush more olive oil onto fronts and backs of bread, and toast both sides under your broiler.
- Cut open your garlic clove and smear some garlic onto one side of bread.
- Spread goat cheese onto the garlic side, top with beet mixture, and serve at room temperature.
I used a 14 oz can of (well rinsed and patted dry) beets. Threw all ingredients for the beet mixture in a small processor and whirled just until well mixed then finished off the rounds. Delish! Thanks for sharing, WiGal.
I used beets fresh out of the garden and really enjoyed this! I used 3 small beets, and so used the red wine vinegar. I thought I had goat cheese, but no, so used brie. :) Thanks! Made for Beverage tag.
We had this last night and it was really delicious, wouldn't change a thing, thank you for posting. Made for holiday tag.