Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a fast, easy & tasty appetizer that I usually serve on "Italian" nights. When Vidalia onions are available (and priced right), I'll chop & add some to the tomato mixture.
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded & diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 -10 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick (day old is OK)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese (or a combination)
- In a small bowl, mix chopped tomatoes, oregano& garlic.
- Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Brush bread slices with oil.
- Place about 4 tsp tomato mixture on top of each bread slice& sprinkle with cheese.
- Place on baking sheet& bake at 350F for 5 minutes.
- Broil for a couple of minutes or until golden brown& cheese melts.
A very nice, clean flavoured and simple to make appetiser. We made it with the parmesan cheese and really enjoyed it thank you.