Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
I might as well jump on the Bruschetta Bandwagon! Experiment using local onions in your area! Also, try other similar hard cheeses in place of the Parmesan: asiago, fontina, pecorino romano, etc. From the cookinglight.com website with some changes.
- Preheat oven on BROIL.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sugar; cook 15-20 minutes or until very soft and golden brown; stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Cool mixture slightly then stir in the fresh basil.
- Cut baguette into 1/2" slices. Place bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil the bread for 2 minutes or until toasted. Watch oven carefully!
- Divide and spread caramelized onion mixture over each bread slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Return to oven and broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Garnish each slice with 1 or 2 fresh basil leaves if desired.
Wonderful is all I can say! I cut this in half for DH and I. We really loved the onions (that became sweet) and the salty cheese. He definately wants this again. Served with Tuscan Sausage Vegetable Soup#260195.
Great twist on bruschetta. I topped mine with a slice of brie for an extra treat but otherwise made per your instructions! Served with a big salad, it was the perfect summer meal. Thanks for the post!
This is amazing! I love caramelized onions so this was perfect. The salty cheese went well with the sweet onions and the basil gave it a fresh taste and did not overpower. Will be making this again. Made for I Recommend Tag.