Recipe by COOKGIRl
I might as well jump on the Bruschetta Bandwagon! Experiment using local onions in your area! Also, try other similar hard cheeses in place of the Parmesan: asiago, fontina, pecorino romano, etc. From the cookinglight.com website with some changes.
Top Review by mama smurf
Wonderful is all I can say! I cut this in half for DH and I. We really loved the onions (that became sweet) and the salty cheese. He definately wants this again. Served with recipe#260195#260195.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (NOT dried)
- 1 French baguette
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven on BROIL.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sugar; cook 15-20 minutes or until very soft and golden brown; stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Cool mixture slightly then stir in the fresh basil.
- Cut baguette into 1/2" slices. Place bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil the bread for 2 minutes or until toasted. Watch oven carefully!
- Divide and spread caramelized onion mixture over each bread slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Return to oven and broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Garnish each slice with 1 or 2 fresh basil leaves if desired.