These snacks remain popular and do not present many problems for the cook. Here's a change from the tomatoey ones.
- Heat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg Celsius.
- Slice baguette on the diagonal (you'll get more slices than you need, but bake them all and save the rest in an airtight container for later use).
- Brush with olive oil or butter, and bake in single layer until golden and quite crisp.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut avocado's in small cubes in a bowl, add the onion, lime juice, chopped hot pepper (remove seeds!), basil and olive oil.
- Season with salt, and toss lightly.
- Remove 9 crisp golden bread slices to a serving platter, and place a spoonful of the avo relish on each.
- NOTE: Be careful with the chilli pepper or paste: you don't want it too hot. Use less if pepper is very hot.