Recipe by Mary Jenny
Bruschetta can tingle the taste buds when given a modern California twist. Bruschetta with Smoked Chicken and Grapes
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (125 mL)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (1 mL)
- 1 French baguette
- 250 g smoked chicken breasts, cut into bite-size strips
- 12 ounces grated fontina, Port Salute (375 g) or 12 ounces monterey jack cheese (375 g)
- 1 1⁄2 cups halved california seedless grapes (375 mL)
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives (15 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (2 mL)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven broiler.
- In a small bowl combine garlic, olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- Slice baguette into 1/2-inch (1.5 cm) thick slices. Brush baguette slices with garlic oil and place on cookie sheet. Toast in broiler about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from broiler. Bread should be crisp on the outside, but still soft in the centre. On each slice of bread place about 1 tbsp (15 mL) chicken breast and 3 grape halves, then top with 2 tbsp (25 mL) grated cheese.
- Place cookie sheet about 8 inches away from broiler and broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Place on serving platter and sprinkle with snipped chives and pepper. Makes 24 pieces.