Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Prosciutto, figs and mint, or squashed cannellini beans with garlic - you decide! This describes two toppings for bruschetta and crostini from Jamie's Italy. Each variation tops 12 slices of bread.
- 1 loaf ciabatta or 1 loaf sourdough bread, cut into 1cm slices
- 6 ripe figs
- 12 slices prosciutto
- 1 bunch mint
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 garlic cloves
- 400 g cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- Grill bread slices, while hot rub them with the cut side of a garlic clove and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Prosciutto, figs and mint topping. Tear the figs in half, then drape a piece of prosciutto over a piece of prepared bread. Squeeze a piece of fig on top and finish with mint leaves. Serve drizzled with extra olive oil, a drop of balsamic vinegar, and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Squashed cannellini beans with garlic recipe. Pick the leaves off a couple of sprigs of rosemary and pount in a mortar and pestle with a little salt. Add a glug of olive oil, stir, set aside. Fry two sliced cloves of garlic in olive oil until lightly golden. Add the beans and simmer gently for 7 minutes. Season beans with salt and pepper, add a swig of red wine vinegar, then mash using the back of a fork until coarsely pureed. Smear prepared bread with the bean puree and spoon rosemary oil over the top.