Recipe by Barb G.
This quick and easy Italian favorite is topped with a savory blend of tomatoes, garlic,basil and capers. Coarsely chop capers to release flavor, just give then a whack with the side of a chef's knife before adding to tomato mixture. Enjoy.
Top Review by Frau Frau
Very yummy and easy to make. I put the bread in my toaster-oven, which made it even simpler. They are very fresh tasting and colorful. I used dried basil, but it still tasted great. Easy enough for a before supper snack, but pretty enough for guests.
- 12 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick (baguette)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, leaved
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons small capers, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- place bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on each slice bread. Bake about 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- While bread is toasting, mix remaining ingredients.
- Spoon tomato mixture onto bread slices.
- Serve at at room temperature.