1 hr 35 mins
This is a wonderful use for all your tomatoes and basil from the garden, perfect to have on hand for a last minute appetizer. I used half plum and half lemon boy tomatoes from my garden. I tripled the recipe without a problem. From "Put a Lid on It" by Topp and Howard.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups peeled chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1Drain tomatoes then combine with garlic, shallots, basil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently 5 minutes. Check consistency, you may need to simmer awhile longer.
- 3Stir in green onions and tomato paste and boil one minute.
- 4Ladle into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
- 5Process in a hot water bath for 35 minutes for half pints, 40 minutes for pints.
- 6To serve, spoon out onto sliced bread, top with your favourite cheese and broil until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bruschetta-Style Salsa for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (732 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.0
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 528.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g