1 hr 35 mins
This is a wonderful use for all your tomatoes and basil from the garden, perfect to have on hand for a last minute appetizer. I used half plum and half lemon boy tomatoes from my garden. I tripled the recipe without a problem. From "Put a Lid on It" by Topp and Howard.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups peeled chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 1 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1Drain tomatoes then combine with garlic, shallots, basil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently 5 minutes. Check consistency, you may need to simmer awhile longer.
- 3Stir in green onions and tomato paste and boil one minute.
- 4Ladle into hot sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
- 5Process in a hot water bath for 35 minutes for half pints, 40 minutes for pints.
- 6To serve, spoon out onto sliced bread, top with your favourite cheese and broil until cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bruschetta-Style Salsa for Canning
Serving Size: 1 (732 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.0
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 528.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 3.4 g