Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe on the Food Network, submitted by Juan-Carlos Cruz. I have made a few changes from the original. I love how quick and easy this recipe is to make and you can put whatever toppings you like. I have also added olives, chicken, red and green peppers, onions and red pepper flakes.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 (8 g) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons shredded asiago cheese
- 4 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, warm water, and yeast until the yeast begins to bubble.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt and olive oil until blended. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and continue to mix until a smooth dough is formed. If dough is sticky, add flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Spray a large bowl with olive oil and place dough in the large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise until it has doubled in size, approx 1 hour.
- Once dough has risen, using clean hands, punch down the dough. Sprinkle a clean work surface with the flour and knead dough on the floured surface for 1 minute.
- On a pizza pan or stone, shape dough into desired shape.
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix drained crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add oregano, basil, and pine nuts and stir until combined. Spread tomato mixture on top of dough. Top with shredded cheeses(and any other ingredients you have added) and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.