Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A new friend on a forum I read posted this recipe from the Ball Complete Book of Home Canning. Haven't tried it yet, but sounds yummy. Can't wait for those tomatoes to come on.
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 9 cups plum tomatoes, chopped, cored (1-inch pieces)
- In large deep stainless steel saucepan, combine garlic, wine, wine vinegar, water, sugar, basil, oregano and balsamic vinegar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently, for 5 minutes, until garlic is heated through. Remove from heat.
- Pack tomatoes into hot jars to within a generous 1/2 inch of top of jar. Ladle hot vinegar mixture into jar to cover tomatoes, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 20 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
Try a bite of this and I'll bet you'll be in heaven...except I am not there, so it can't be heaven.;-)
I made three batches of this over the summer and I'm here to say I did not make enough-it's that good! Thanks for Posting-it's a lovely recipe that is VERY easy to make!
I was looking for new tomato canning recipes, and this one caught my eye. It was simple to make and yielded 8 half pint jars for me. I will come back later and rate for taste! Thanks for sharing!