Recipe by Megan's Mommy
There are similar recipes posted, but I like the Feta cheese in this one. I lived in Italy for a few years, and this is my twist on their local salad. I like to toss just before serving, so the bread is still crunchy. But if you prefer, you can let it sit for 30-45 minutes to soften the bread more. Fresh, good quality ingredients is a MUST in this recipe. I love to serve this with grilled chicken.
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 400°F
- Cut the bread into small bite size pieces.
- Place the bread on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Toast the bread in the oven until lightly crispy, tossing once, 10-20 minutes.
- Combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, onion, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- These steps can be done the night before.
- Keep the toasted, cooled bread in a Ziploc bag, and the tomato mixture in the fridge until ready to serve.
- The tomato mixture is better if it sits for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to mix.
- When ready to serve, toss the bread, tomato mixture and feta cheese.
- Serve immediately.