Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from a local cable TV cooking show.
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped & seeded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, set aside a few whole leaves as garnish (coriander or cilantro can also be used for a different taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Place flour and lighlty beaten eggs in separate containers that are large enough to accommodate each chicken breast.
- Dip chicken in flour then in egg and place in greased 9x13 pan.
- Combine the cheese, breadcrumbs & butter and sprinkle over chicken.
- Loosely cover dish with foil & bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine remaining ingredients.
- Uncover the chicken and bake an additional 5-10 minutes longer until top is browned.
- Spoon tomato mixture over chicken, return to oven for 3-5 minutes or until just heated through.
- Plate each breast and garnish with 2 or 3 whole basil leaves.
A new family favourite, requested by our son for his 8th birthday. So good!
WONDERFUL! Made this tonight with a side of bruschetta pasta and we all were in heaven! My 3 and 5 year old loved this. The chicken came out super moist. I had my doubts that it would since I use filleted chicken breasts which should require less cooking time. I followed this one as stated and it was still VERY moist! I increased the garlic but stuck to everything else. Definite repeater for us. Thank you!
I have this recipe in my Taste for Home cookbook. I made this last night after skimming through the book. I did make some substitutes. Ran out of garlic, so I used garlic powder, I grated Asiago cheese instead of Parmesan, used dry basil since I don't keep fresh on hand, and used canned drained petite diced tomatoes. My family thought it was tasty and told me to make it again!! Its a KEEPER.