Recipe by Lowfat Linda
This is a tasty and satisfying dish and looks very nice on the plate. Kind of like chicken that comes with its own Italian-seasoned stuffing. The original recipe came from kraftfoods.com, but I made a few changes to lessen fat, sodium and eliminate MSG (believe it or not, a number of stuffing mixes and salad dressings have MSG).
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1⁄4 cups mozzarella cheese, divided (I use the lower-fat version)
- 4 cups Pepperidge Farm stuffing (I use Country Style stuffing as it is lower sodium and is blended white and whole wheat breads)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put tomatoes with their juice, 1/2 C cheese, seasonings, and dry stuffing mix in a large bowl and mix. Put bowl aside and prepare chicken.
- If the chicken breasts are small, put a breast between sheets of plastic wrap and pound the chicken with a heavy can, rolling pin or meat mallet until chicken is 1/4 inch thick.
- If the chicken breasts are large and very thick, cut them in two by cutting through the thickness of the breast, then pound as described above.
- Repeat for all the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken, two breasts at a time, smooth side down on a plate.
- Spread evenly with stuffing mixture.
- Starting at the narrow end, roll the chicken as tightly as possible around the stuffing mixture.
- Place, seam-sides down, in an oiled 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Drizzle evenly with dressing.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through (170 degrees internal temp).