Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The first time I had bruschetta was complimentary at a local Italian restaurant where all the food was cooked to order by the very creative chef named Lynne. I have tried to replicate that delicious bruschetta that we had that day, and I do get many compliments.
- 6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced, toasted
- Cooking time is minimum marinating time.
- Amounts are to taste - you will probably use less red onion, and you might want more garlic.
- Combine chopped tomato, basil, garlic, onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour to overnight - this mellows out the raw garlic and onion a bit.
- When ready to eat, slice the french bread and lightly spray with oil spray or brush with olive oil on each side. Toast the bread in the broiler (or on a grill) turning after 3-4 minutes - watch carefully so you don't burn it.
- When the bread is done, move to a serving platter, and top each slice with 2-3 T of the tomato mixture. Enjoy!