Recipe by *That Girl*
This is one of my favorite appetizers. The recipe is a result of a lot of trial and error but I think the end product is wonderful! It's very garlicky and bursting with great flavor - super when your looking for a more sophisticated appetizer. Cooking time includes marinating time for the tomatoes.
Top Review by michelle.lofaro
I have made this about 4 times now, each time gets a little better. I have learned to not use as much olive oil on each piece and to make sure to cook long enough to be toasty. This is my favorite recipe
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin pieces
- 3 -4 chopped garlic cloves
- 4 -5 fresh basil leaves, finely slivered (fresh basil is the key to this recipe!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh baguette, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup good quality olive oil (the darker the color, the better)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice to tomatoes and place in a small bowl.
- Add salt, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and basil.
- Toss to coat and let sit at room temperature for 2 hours for flavors to blend well.
- Blend together the garlic and remaining olive oil.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with the olive oil mixture.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for about 7 minutes turning halfway through until a little crispy.
- Remove bread from oven and place a slice of the fresh mozzarella on each piece.
- Return bread slices to oven and bake for a few minutes longer, until cheese melts but does not bubble.
- Remove bread slices from the oven and spoon about 1 tsp of the tomato mixture onto each slice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.