10 hrs 20 mins
Early Virginia settlers made this hearty stew with squirrel meat. Better Homes and Gardens updated version simmers all day in your crock pot and features chicken and ham.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 lbs meaty chicken pieces, skinned
- 1 1/2 cups diced cooked ham (8 ounces)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced okra (2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart crock pot place onion.
- 2Top with chicken and ham.
- 3In a small bowl combine undrained tomatoes, broth, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; pour over chicken and ham.
- 4Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- 5If desired, remove chicken; cool slightly.
- 6(Keep lid on the crockery cooker.) Remove meat from chicken bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- 7Return chicken to crock pot; discard bones.
- 8Add okra, lima beans, and corn to crock pot.
- 9If using low-heat setting turn to high-heat setting.
- 10Cover and cook 45 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- 11Makes 6 servings.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brunswick Stew for Your Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (483 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.6
- Calories from Fat 191
- Total Fat 21.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 375.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 35.8 g