Recipe by Bev
Early Virginia settlers made this hearty stew with squirrel meat. Better Homes and Gardens updated version simmers all day in your crock pot and features chicken and ham.
Top Review by Virginia Chandler
WOW!!!!! Was this delicious!!! I needed a crock pot recipe for the day and found this one. I put it together the night before in the crock pot dish and put it in the refrigerator over night, then in the morning I put it in the crockpot and turned it on and VOILA, when I came home the house smelled WONDERFUL, and soooo comforting on a cold day. It was the perfect dinner. Thanks for posting!!!!
- 3 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 lbs meaty chicken pieces, skinned
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham (8 ounces)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra (2 cups)
- 1 cup frozen baby lima bean
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart crock pot place onion.
- Top with chicken and ham.
- In a small bowl combine undrained tomatoes, broth, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, pepper, and hot pepper sauce; pour over chicken and ham.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- If desired, remove chicken; cool slightly.
- (Keep lid on the crockery cooker.) Remove meat from chicken bones; cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Return chicken to crock pot; discard bones.
- Add okra, lima beans, and corn to crock pot.
- If using low-heat setting turn to high-heat setting.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Makes 6 servings.