1/1 Photo of Brunswick Stew for a Crowd
This recipe was developed when we bought a 14-quart potjie (cast iron pot with legs) for outdoor cooking. If you don't have a local barbecue joint to buy the barbecue, you can cook a small pork loin or country style pork ribs in your crockpot with a little water, barbecue it in your oven, then shred to use for this recipe. However, we have found it is easier and quicker to just buy it. We use Carolina Treet barbecue sauce to give it some kick. Serve with cornbread or saltines.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb take-out barbecued pork
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (2 quart) can V8 vegetable juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans lima beans (can use frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can white shoepeg corn
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled & diced (yukon gold works well)
- 1 -2 medium onion, peeled & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 cup carolina treet barbecue sauce (to taste)
- 1Put a 14-quart cast iron pot on outdoor gas flame (be sure it is secure and won't tip over and that children are kept away).
- 2Put in about 1 gallon of water, whole chicken (discard giblets) and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- 3Let boil 30 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- 4When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot, leaving the broth boiling, and set it aside to cool.
- 5Add all vegetables and barbecued pork to the chicken broth remaining in the pot.
- 6Debone and shred the chicken meat and add to the pot.
- 7Add enough V-8 juice to get the desired consistency.
- 8Add garlic and seasonings.
- 9Cook on high simmer/low boil for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from settling to the bottom of the pot.
- 10Taste before serving and add additional seasoning if necessary.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Brunswick Stew for a Crowd
Serving Size: 1 (8266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.6
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 57.5 mg
- Sodium 1740.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 23.8 g