Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
When growing up in Georgia, I felt BBQ wasn't BBQ with out some Brunswick Stew. This is a great recipe. Warning: it makes a lot. But, it freezes well, so not to worry.
- 2 lbs fryer chickens
- 2 lbs pork butt
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 3 quarts water
- 3 lbs potatoes (peeled or cubed)
- 3 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (17 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (14 ounce) bottle catsup
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine three meats in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and reserve broth. When cool, shred or chop meat.
- Add potatoes and onions to broth and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add meat and remaining ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours, stirring often.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ. I prefer Carolina-style Pulled Pork sandwiches recipe#152801.