Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A favorite stew recipe in my house as well as that of our frequent dinner guests. Meal in one with bread and butter. Prep time does not include pulling the chicken and pork which can be done a day or so in advance of making the stew.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cooked pork
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen butter beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot sauce
- I boil 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (with bone) and purchase 1 1/4 pounds of smoked pulled pork from our local barbeque joint.
- If you are unable to get smoked pulled pork and still want the smoked flavor use liquid smoke.
- In a 6 quart dutch oven, stir together onion, chicken broth, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.
- Add thawed corn and butter beans; stir.
- Add tomatoes; stir.
- Lastly, stir in pulled chicken and pork.
- Cover and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
First time for me, and wow turned out great. Not as good as Moms but i really enjoyed it. Was fun to put together and ate of it for days and days. Caryn,thanks for posting such a good meal
My family just loves this recipe! It is extremely easy to make and is usually eaten in a day at our house. I substitute Lima Beans for the Butter Beans, and I use already-cooked BBQ pulled pork and chicken. I cook it in the crock pot on low. Thanks for sharing!