Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy, hearty stew that can be prepared in about an hour.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 10 ounces lima beans, thawed if frozen
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine flour, garlic and cayenne in a bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook bacon, then remove to plate lined with paper towels.
- Add chicken to pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Add onions, peppers and lima beans and cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Return bacon to pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer 30 minutes. Stew liquid will thicken to the consistency of gravy.