Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy, hearty stew that can be prepared in about an hour.
Make and share this Brunswick Stew (Chicken and Lima Bean Stew) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 10 ounces lima beans, thawed if frozen
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine flour, garlic and cayenne in a bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Cook bacon, then remove to plate lined with paper towels.
- Add chicken to pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Add onions, peppers and lima beans and cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Return bacon to pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer 30 minutes. Stew liquid will thicken to the consistency of gravy.