Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 40 mins
This is a hearty meal! All you need is a salad and some crusty bread to soak up the great juices in your bowl!!! I love this stew, it's got so much flavor. It's great for company too.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken, quartered and trimmed of fat
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 medium carrots, chopped coarsely
- 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts water
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup frozen lima beans or 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 ears fresh corn, cut kernals from or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- In 5 to 6 qt pot, heat oil and brown pork in batches, without crowding, transferring to a plate as it is done; set aside.
- Add onions to pot and cook, stirring about 3 minutes or until translucent; return pork to pot with any accumulated juice; add chicken quarters and all remaining ingredients except lima beans or peans and corn.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and gently simmer.
- After 1 hr, remove chicken and when cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and skin and shred.
- After pork mixture has simmered a total of 2 hrs, return shredded chicken meat to pot and add lima beans or peas and corn.
- Continue cooking, covered, about 30 minutes longer.
- Pork should be very tender and stew should be thick.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.