Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Rachael's Recipe Notes: I like to serve this one in bread bowls. Delicious!
- 6 lbs stewing chicken or 6 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 gallon cold water
- 2 stalks celery, tops included
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,cored,seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen baby lima beans (do not thaw)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn (do not thaw)
- 1⁄2 medium sweet green pepper, cored and cut into short,thin slivers
- 2 tablespoons salt, about
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, about
- Clean chicken, remove insides (gizzards); place in a large kettle.
- Add water and celery, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, on medium heat, about 1-2 hours, until just tender.
- Remove the bird from the broth and cool.
- Strain broth and skim off the fat.
- Rinse the kettle, pour in the broth, add the sugar and all the vegetables except the corn and green pepper.
- Cover; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, on medium-low heat, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, skin the chicken and shred the meat.
- Return the chicken to the kettle and add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- Serve hot in soup bowls.
I love Brunswick Stew and it is getting to be the time of the year when I really look forward to it. This will be a recipe that I will make on more than one occasion for sure.