Recipe by -------
The original tasty dish. This makes 12 servings & freezes well. Enjoy!
Top Review by jodyandrew
this recipe is delicious. as a native of the south carolina low country i have long been looking for a brunswick stew recipe that could rival my grandmother's. this is it. i made a few changes. i used 5 slices of salt pork instead of 3. i used 2 table spoons of tomato paste and 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar in lieu of the catchup. and i used 4 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce and less salt. the end product was delicious. and the stew only gets better with age...make it and save it.
- 4 lbs whole chickens, cut up AND
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, with bone
- 2 onions, cut in quarter chunks
- 3 stalks celery & leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 slices country bacon or 3 slices salt pork
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 quarts water
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen green beans
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (3 grains )
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen lima beans
- 3 cups white potatoes, peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 lb frozen corn kernels
- canned chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Place first 8 ingredients in large pot & bring to boil.
- Add more water if necessary to cover chicken.
- Turn heat low & cook slowly until chicken is tender & falls apart.
- Remove chicken from stock & cool.
- Discard skin & bones.
- Shred meat & set aside.
- Return chicken stock to pot.
- Add green beans & tomatoes.
- Bring to boil & simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- At this time, add cayenne, lima beans, & potatoes.
- Continue cooking for about 30 minutes, then add corn & cooked chicken.
- Stir often & thin with additional canned chicken broth as needed.
- Continue cooking until corn is done & flavours are well blended.
- Add catsup, Tabasco, & Worcestershire.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve in large soup bowls topped with bread crumbs.
- Freezes well.