Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
The original tasty dish. This makes 12 servings & freezes well. Enjoy!
- 4 lbs whole chickens, cut up AND
- 2 -3 chicken breasts, with bone
- 2 onions, cut in quarter chunks
- 3 stalks celery & leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 slices country bacon or 3 slices salt pork
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 quarts water
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen green beans
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (3 grains )
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen lima beans
- 3 cups white potatoes, peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 lb frozen corn kernels
- canned chicken broth
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Place first 8 ingredients in large pot & bring to boil.
- Add more water if necessary to cover chicken.
- Turn heat low & cook slowly until chicken is tender & falls apart.
- Remove chicken from stock & cool.
- Discard skin & bones.
- Shred meat & set aside.
- Return chicken stock to pot.
- Add green beans & tomatoes.
- Bring to boil & simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- At this time, add cayenne, lima beans, & potatoes.
- Continue cooking for about 30 minutes, then add corn & cooked chicken.
- Stir often & thin with additional canned chicken broth as needed.
- Continue cooking until corn is done & flavours are well blended.
- Add catsup, Tabasco, & Worcestershire.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve in large soup bowls topped with bread crumbs.
- Freezes well.
this recipe is delicious. as a native of the south carolina low country i have long been looking for a brunswick stew recipe that could rival my grandmother's. this is it. i made a few changes. i used 5 slices of salt pork instead of 3. i used 2 table spoons of tomato paste and 2 table spoons of apple cider vinegar in lieu of the catchup. and i used 4 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce and less salt. the end product was delicious. and the stew only gets better with age...make it and save it.
After several attemps to make agoos brunswick stew ihave found this one to be most excellent